KCS celebrates Grand Re-Opening of G.W. Carver School

KCS celebrates Grand Re-Opening of G.W. Carver School
Posted on 09/11/2017
This is the image for the news article titled KCS celebrates Grand Re-Opening of G.W. Carver School

Kannapolis City Schools celebrated the Grand Re-Opening and dedication of G.W. Carver School on Sunday, September 10, 2017. The event commemorated the rich legacy of the original G.W. Carver School that served the African-American community between 1936 and 1967 and stood on the site of the current G.W. Carver Elementary School. The current G.W. Carver Elementary features the first A+ Arts magnet program in the Cabarrus/Rowan area.

 

The Grand Re-Opening and Dedication ceremony included memorabilia from the original G.W. Carver School as well as art displays and performances from current G.W. Carver Elementary students. It also included the singing of the original G.W. Carver High School song.

 

The event was a community effort planned by Kannapolis City Schools, the G.W. Carver Alumni Association, the Kannapolis African-American Museum and Cultural Center, the Cabarrus Health Alliance, the City of Kannapolis, members of the Carver community, and former employees of G.W. Carver High School. More than two hundred people attended the event. For more information and a look at historical pictures from the original G.W. Carver school, please click here.

 

CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTO GALLERY OF DEDICATION EVENT

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.